Monday, January 10, 2011

Stuffed Crust Pizza

My husband and I had been talking about it for a few weeks and tonight, we finally got down to business and took a crack at making a stuffed crust pizza, originally made famous by Pizza Hut maybe 15 years ago.

First, we started off with this whole wheat pizza recipe that I have used with success a few times now.


Next, we took string cheese and cut it in half lengthwise and lined the outside of the rolled out pizza crust with it. We folded the crust over it.  Be sure to seal the crust very well around the cheese.


Not quite sealed all the way but you get the idea
 Then add your pizza sauce and desired toppings.  The pizza shown below is a knock off of our favorite pizza served at a little pizza joint about an hour from here.  The pizza is called "The Roadrunner" and consists of pepperoni, sausage, and green chiles.


Bake as directed by crust instructions and enjoy!

Check out that cheesy crust
It was delicious and we can't wait to do it again!

While I have your attention, I've got a quick product review for you.  Faithful readers will remember that, as is the New Mexico tradition, I frequently cook with green chiles. Something I haven't yet ventured into since moving to New Mexico is trying different...shall we say....abnormal green chile products.  A few examples are green chile ice cream, green chile wine, and green chile vinaigrette.

I'll be honest...some of this stuff freaks me out.  But this evening, with our Roadrunner Pizza, we popped open some green chile beer and gave it a shot.


It was great!  It smelled like green chile and had a vague aftertaste of the heat of a green chile but went down just as smoothly as regular beer.  Do not fear the green chile beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment