Saturday, September 18, 2010

Zucchini Bread

Some folks lately have expressed surprise that I am the co-author of a food blog and that I like exploring new recipes.  Truth be told, I don't think ordinary cooking requires any special skill or experience.  The best asset to someone in the kitchen is the ability to read.  I believe that if you can read, you can cook just about anything.  It's all about having or finding recipes and going for it.

That being said, baking is a whole other story.  There is no forgiveness in baking.  When you cook something, you can switch things up here and there.  A little short on an ingredient?  You'll probably be just fine.  In baking however, those measurements mean the difference between a nice, fluffy cake, and a flour brick.

As a result, I rarely bake.  I try to avoid it in most instances.  This week, however, I had a craving for zucchini bread.  Not just any zucchini bread, mind you.  This recipe comes to us from the kind folks over at A Cage of Words.  The author there, Andy, has been making this recipe for years and I had to have it.  I used to think zucchini had no earthly business being in bread but man, was I wrong.  Andy kindly shared it with me recently and I didn't waste much time getting in the kitchen and trying it out.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup finely shredded zucchini (1 large zucchini)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts - the original recipe calls for this, I prefer to substitute half the chopped walnuts with chocolate chips
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  • In a bowl, beat together the shredded zucchini, sugar and egg
  • Add oil and mix well
  • In a separate bowl, mix together all remaining dry ingredients except the walnuts and chocolate chips
  • Slowly stir the dry ingredient mixture into the zucchini mixture
  • Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips
  • Pour batter into greased loaf pan
Batter in the pan
  • Bake 45 minutes or until done
Right out of the oven

First, warm slice is always the best!

Thanks again, Andy!

1 comment: